Thursday, 14 May 2009
Birthday Balloons Cake
source: The International School of Sugar Craft, Book One
2 8in round tin/pan - greased the tin
2 cups self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup butter/margarine
2 medium eggs (beat lightly)
preheat oven to 160c
1. Place butter/margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix together with wooden spoon, then beat for 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Alternatively, use an eletric mixture for about 1 minutes.
2. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition, until all the egg has been incorporated and the mixture ia soft and glossy. If it look slightly curdled, beat in 1 - 2 tbsp flour.
3. Sift the flour into a bowl and add flavourings if wishes. Using a spatula carefully fold in the flour, cutting through and turning the mixture until all the flour has been incorporated into the batter.
4. Place the mixture into the prepared greased and lined tin; smooth the top with a spatular and give the tin a sharp tap to remove any air pockets and to level the mixture.
5. Place the cake mixture in the centre of pre-heated oven 160c/gas 3 for 30-35 eminutes. Test the cake by pressing the centre with the fingers. The cake should be golden brown and feel firm and springly when cooked. Cool completly.
6. Put a bit of icing on the base of cake board to secure the 1st layer of the cake. Spared a jam on top of this cake and put the 2nd layer of the cake. Iced the cake in white buttercream or cover it with ready made icing
To decorate the cake:
In advance, tint 6 oz potions of fondant royal blue, lemon yellow, red-red. Make curlicues in each colour and let dry. Reserve remaining tinted fondant. Ice round cake smooth with buttercream. Print tip 5 massage in black. Use smallest round cutter to cut 8 circles in each colour. Position ballons immediately after cutting, securing with a bit of icing. Make additional curlicues for ballon strings and immedietly attach to ballons on cake. Pipe tip 21 shell bottom border in white and position curlicures or make a blue strip and cover the bottom